Understanding the design thinking process

Stanford d.school fellow Jason Mayden is "The Design Fellow" over at Hypebeast. He recently wrote a post on an introduction to design thinking, tracking back through the history of design. Here is an excerpt:  “It’s beauty in the struggle homie, ugliness in the success I grew up in the city and though sometimes we had less / Compared to some of my people down the block man we were blessed / Hear my words or listen to my signal of distress.” — J. Cole, “Love Yourz” from the album 2014 Forrest Hills Drive

the-design-fellow-with-jason-mayden-the-last-ones-standing-1

Empathy can be regarded as the act of understanding someone else’s journey. The highs, the lows, the victories, the losses are what define a person in a world that’s ever changing. According to Webster’s Dictionary, empathy is emphatically defined as “the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.” However, in the field of design, empathy is the first step in a process known as “HCD” or simply put, Human Centered Design. Over the course of the next few posts, I will share with you — the reader — the tools, definitions and methodology that serve as a foundation of the HCD process. Think of it as a 10-part Stanford education, that can be leveraged to find deeper insights that lead to more meaningful design solutions. To understand the HCD process, we first must look at where design has come from and where design is headed.

Continue reading on Hypebeast