Becoming a 'whiteboard warrior'

The whiteboards in Huddle Room 1 at the d.school where I crafted the illustrations for our d.bootcamp final video. (Photo by Emi Kolawole) I don't sketch.

Let me rephrase that: I have always believed it would be better for everyone if I refrain from sketching and, instead, stick to words. But this past Thursday I took a stab at becoming what I have heard referred to here at the d.school as a "whiteboard warrior."

Molly Wilson, a d.school fellow alum and current lecturer at the d.school, introduced me to the term. Molly is teaching a pop-up class this winter with the Institute For The Future's Adam Elmaghraby. The class aims to turn "notebook neophytes" into these so-called warriors. I, unfortunately, will not be able to make the class. But I hope this is proof that I'm well on my way.

Now, in terms of context, our final d.bootcamp assignment was to redesign the U.S. Postal Service's mailing and packaging services. My team decided to focus on the campaign mailer, and were particularly inspired by the news that New York City Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio ran his entire campaign without sending a shred of snail mail.

A video was due to the teaching team by 9 a.m. Friday morning. We also had to create an expo booth with an interactive experience, and two- to three-page paper. So rather than go high-resolution with the video, as I am wont to do, I went extremely low-res, and I took pen to real-life whiteboard. Here's what resulted:

What do you think? Let me know in the comments. And if you're a neophyte like me, who was afraid of sketching and convinced she couldn't draw, prove yourself wrong. Discover your inner warrior.